During our time in Costa Rica, Cindy and I had the opportunity to take a four-week intensive Spanish Class. During my time there, I discovered that I had developed many bad habits or misunderstandings in my uses of certain words or phrases. I also discovered that when I pray in Spanish, I should be using the more informal or more personal form of “tĂș”. A very simple concept to native Spanish speakers, but this was new to me.
Learning Spanish can be difficult and frustrating for me. Although I feel my Spanish is rather lousy (and many would probably agree), I love to be able to communicate in Spanish with others. I continually desire to be able to speak better Spanish. To be able to use the words that are correct or more fitting, and not just choose from the list of Spanish vocabulary words that are in my mind.
As I was reading a devotion this past week, I was encouraged and reminded of the importance of my learning Spanish. The reminder came from a verse in 1 Corinthians 14:9:
- “So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air.”
We should excel in speech. This too, refers to the church’s public ministry of teaching and preaching. We have the gospel that liberates and satisfies us. We have the Bible that tells us how to live. We have examples of the way, the truth, and the life through our Savior and Teacher - Jesus Christ. In our sermons, lessons, and conversations, we need to be able to share that message with excellence, while accurately communicating the Word of God – the Bible.
We should excel in knowledge. Professor Steve Prothero of Boston University recently wrote a book entitled: Religious Literacy, in which he claims that even churchgoers in America are woefully deficient in Bible knowledge. According to his studies, 60 percent of Americans can not name one-half of the Ten Commandments, and 50 percent of high school seniors think Sodom and Gomorrah were married. We need to be lifelong students of the Bible.
I need to continue working on my Spanish so that I can share the Word of God with others, in a way that is clear and not confusing. And so that those listening will accurately understand what I am saying, and that I will not be just be speaking into the air.
And just as I need to be able to continue working on my Spanish, we all (me included) need to be lifelong students of the Bible, so that we can share and teach others the Word of God, with clarity and accuracy. So that we are not intimidated or unsure what to share, and that we are always prepared to share the Good News (1 Peter 3:15).
If you are regularly attending a church with solid and accurate teachings of the bible, along with opportunities to learn from your pastor and other teachers, that is wonderful and you blessed. However, we cannot rely simply on the teachings that we are receiving in church. We all need to be spending personal time in the Word, as well as searching for other opportunities to learn more, such as attending a bible study or small group. Some of you may not feel that you are qualified to teach from the bible, or do not know enough in order to teach or share with others. But one of the best ways to learn more, is through your weekly preparation to teach others. Just as I discovered that I had developed many misunderstandings in my use of certain Spanish words or phrases, as you spend time in the Word, you too may discover that you have developed some misunderstandings of the Bible.
Now that we are back in Ecuador, I am very excited about resuming my role of working with and supporting the pastors and leadership of the churches located within our Central District. I also excited about learning more Spanish every day, and also learning more from the Bible each day.
If you have read this far, thank you!
Blessings to You!
Doug
No comments:
Post a Comment