Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Update 06/03/08

Dear Prayer Warriors,

WOW!!! Wowie Wow Wow!!! We had an incredible time with Justin'o family from Zábalo. They arrived at the school somewhat unannounced on Tuesday afternoon in the pouring rain. We had told them that they were always welcome if they ever came to Quito...so we welcomed them. You may have received our SOS via email and we thank you so much for your prayers. The follow is how their time progressed....

Wednesday: They spent most of the day observing Justino's day in school. Cindy toured them around the Alliance Academy on her break. By the time we got to the library on the third floor, they were quite overwhelmed. Not thinking, Cindy decided to take the elevator down to the main floor. She began to re-think this when she saw the look on Isalina's face as the door closed her into this small metal box and then heard her shriek when it started to move. They enjoyed a school cafeteria lunch. We were able to serve them typical Ecuadorian food for dinner. However, they are not typical Ecuadorians and even Ecuadorian food was new to them. Justino's sister enjoyed trying to use silverware, and was fascinated in how a salt shaker worked!! They retired early as it was quite a day for them.

Thursday: The morning was spent running a few errands with Doug for bullets, fabric, and a soccer ball. With traffic and the huge selections, it was another overwhelming experience. They joined Justino, Mishel, and Cindy for lunch. We tried an Ecuadorian restaurant and it went well. They found great laughter in watching the dogs play fetch. Thursday night was very special as Carlos asked to borrow our guitar. He spent the evening playing Cofán songs and the children were singing away which was actually practice for their desire to play for Justino's class. Isalina sat sewing on a traditional Cofán tunic (robe) for Justino.

Friday: The weather has been cool and rainy since their arrival and today the sun was shining! Justino, Mishel and Cindy walked to school. Their morning at school was spent cramming 3 subjects into one in order to make time for the Cofán Concert of Carlos and Justino. After the practice time on Thursday night, Cindy planned for an hour. They played 4 songs and were done in 15 minutes. So, we played some typical classroom games like Heads Up Seven Up and Kings & Queens. They enjoyed the entertainment until it was off to the cafeteria again for a hamburger lunch. Not one of their favorites. Our class was wrapping up an ocean unit with Finding Nemo. They stayed and watched the whole thing in English. Friday night we introduced them to Dominos. They loved it and kept wanting to play another round.

Saturday was spent running errands to get some clothes and mixing bowls. In Ecuador, they celebrate the Day of the Child and everything was incredible congested this day. The clothing store that we went to had balloons for the kids and free candy. Then the store dressed the kids up in clown suits and took a picture. Wow, what a souvenir to take back to the jungle. The family then spent time watching the escalators. What a thrill to be able to ride the escalator with them!! We then went out to lunch at KFC and off to a store to get mixing bowls. Well, mixing bowls turned into frying pan, plastic containers with lids, plastic pitchers, a dish strainer (Isalina saw how to use the dish strainer when she helped with the dishes), fishing line, hooks, and weights.

We really didn't do much, as everyday living seem to be quite entertaining and thought provoking. Cindy enjoyed having a little girl to paint nails with. We shared every meal together, held hands and thanked God for his provisions. The last evening, we asked Justino to pray and thank God for our meal. He was reluctant at first, but when his dad realized what we were asking, he encouraged him.

We really believe that this was a divine appointment and we relished in every minute of it. There is a very extreme communication gap with the language and culture. Smiles seem to fill the gap to some degree. It was nice to see Isalina smiling more and more everyday. We pray that through our service and hospitality, they saw Jesus!! Our prayers continue for a pastor to minister in Zábalo and lead them and many others to Christ.

We've included below a poem that we received earlier this week, and when we read it we thought of you. Thank you for traveling on your knees with us. We couldn't do this without you. Also this week, Cindy gave each student one of our new prayer cards and an Ecuadorian parent gave a donation to our ministry. With that donation, we were able to bless the Yiyoguaje family. Over and over again, we are reminded that we don't work alone. Thank you for your giving!!!! Thank you for allowing us to serve in Ecuador!!

Blessings to You!
Doug & Cindy


TRAVELING ON MY KNEES
by Sandra Goodwin

Last night I took a journey
To a land across the seas.
I didn't go by ship or plane-
I traveled on my knees

I saw so many people there
In bondage to their sin,
And Jesus told me I should go,
That there were souls to win.

But I said, "Jesus, I can't go
To lands across the sea."
He answered quickly, "Yes, you can
By traveling on your knees."

He said, "You pray, I'll meet the need.
You call, and I will hear.
It's up to you to be concerned
For lost souls far and near."

And so I did, I knelt in prayer,
Gave up some hours of ease,
And with the Savior by my side
I traveled on my knees.

As I prayed on, I saw souls saved
And twisted persons healed.
I saw God's workers' strength renewed
While laboring in the field.

I said, "Yes, Lord, I'll take the job.
Your heart I want to please.
I'll heed Your call and swiftly go
By traveling on my knees."

No comments: